Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Moonlight Sonata

Two beings on either side of a glass wall.
He-half mad with desire, pain and loss. She- serene, beautiful,pure...
dead.

He reaches for the wall.

His fingers touch the glass.

They keep pushing.
...

My beautiful wife, Athena, died exactly a year ago...today.
To say that i went mad with grief would be putting it lightly.

For hours he would sit there, staring at the wall-without moving, without eating. I would leave him for days and would return to find him exactly as he was. When he slept, he dreamt of her. When he was awake, he still dreamt.

The neighbours all said what a tragedy it was.

Such a brilliant mind, they said.

So young, they said.

He was barely twenty seven.


...

I would see her standing before me, dancing; and when I stretched out my hand...nothing.I touched only air.I hated life, and all that it had robbed me off. I wished to reach into my still-beating heart, tear it out and give it to her.

Take it.
Take it, and bring her back.


...

The glass shatters against him.

His bloodied hand reaches in, for his wife.

She is confused for a second. She reaches for him.

His face...his face...a visage of pure longing.

Their hands meet.

The scene fades away.

...

My beautiful wife, Athena, died exactly a year ago...today.
I brought her back.

Can you imagine how happy I was? Can you even begin to imagine?
Like a child,like a mad fool, I danced around the house. I laughed with random strangers on the road. I had brought the only woman ever to have lived, the only woman I had ever loved, back to life.

You think I'm mad, don't you?

I AM NOT MAD.

Look at her. Look at her I say! She's standing in front of us.

Joy returned to my house that day. I was ecstatic.

...

A month passed.
...

I'd made...a mistake.

Even as i write this, I know that the end is near. I know that i have ...done wrong.I have ...done wrong..in going after the only thing that ever mattered to me.
I leave this world with a message.
Whoever you are, wherever you may be-listen to me.

We all do love. I have loved more than any man I know.

"...In sickness and in death..."

I crossed death in the pursuit of love. I brought my wife back to life.

And it was Athena, again with me!

But as the days passed, I realized what i had done. It was Athena, but at the same time it was not her.

She would sit on my lap, just as beautiful as she ever was, and yet she was not there. Her eyes, would cloud over. Her hands would tremble. She would sit silently for hours.

When I spoke to her, she would respond. But at other times...nothing.

Nothing.

I could not stand it. Having a dream come to life, and life..becoming a nightmare.

Touching everything, feeling nothing.
Comprehending nothing.

I who had lost my mind at gut-wrenching loss, now began to lose my mind at unrequited gain.

Do not force love, it is akin to crushing a rose.
It is like expecting a dove to fly after it has been bled dry;
living a lie.

As I take this dagger for myself, I must tell you, dearly beloved, not to grieve for me.
Those that work against God often find that He has been working inexorably against them...drawing them home.

...

He said he'd brought that which was dead, to life.
Funny man.
The dead are not meant to live.
...

In a glass orb on my desk, the couple dances. And the sonata plays on.

...

2 comments:

Grenouille13 said...

QUESTION: There's something supernatural here, he really brings the dead wife back to life? Or is this another woman and the man is losing his mind?

Nice post.

I wished to reach into my still-beating heart, tear it out and give it to her.

There's real feeling there.

Wolf said...

The man is losing his mind, as always.
Of maybe not: what denies us the right to make real what we will?